The E-PL5 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 14-42mm F/3.5 II R Lens (Black) from Olympus is the latest edition to the Olympus PEN E-PL series of mirrorless interchangeable lens digital cameras. Included with this camera is the M. Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5 II lens.
A 16MP Live MOS sensor provides this camera with DSLR-like image quality and the TruePic VI image processor brings with it fast response time and accurate colors and contrast. Its mirrorless design allows for a compact body and a large line of compatible interchangeable lenses offers the flexibility to capture any type of shot you can imagine.
With an ISO range up to 25600 and In-body Image Stabilization, low-light photography is delivered with saturated colors and little noise. Sequential shooting of 8 frames per second and the Olympus F.A.S.T. Auto Focus system equal high speed performance and with the assistance of Face and Eye Detection, portraits and group shots are focused and exposed automatically to produce ideal shots.
Auto focus and shutter release can be controlled by touching the LCD screen. Set the focus on your subject by touching that spot on the LCD and the camera will hold that focus until you touch the LCD again to release the shutter. The LCD itself is a 3.0" Flip Portrait display that can be tilted up or down for creative composition or to control glare and reflection when shooting in bright sunlight.
The E-PL5 is capable of shooting Full 1080i HD video and can playback that HD video on an HDTV with a simple connection to its HDMI output. It also has a multi-purpose accessory port for connecting accessories, such as the included FL-LM1 flash unit.
Twelve in-camera art filters can add creative flourish to your images. Soft Focus, Grainy Film and Pin Hole, for example, are enhanced by filter variations, art effects, and bracketing. This creative palette can be used in all shooting modes including while filming HD movies. iAuto is also a part of the package and it's there for you when you want the camera to recognize what it is seeing and automatically take the best photo possible. Also featured is Olympus' Dust Reduction System which keeps the camera's sensor clean by vibrating a Supersonic Wave Filter every time the camera is turned on.
Along with compact form, interchangeable lenses are an important advantage to mirrorless photography and Olympus provides a wide array of Micro Four Thirds lenses to fit the E-PL5, including the M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R which is bundled with this camera. This 3X zoom lens, designed specifically for Micro Four Thirds mounts, has an overall length of just 1.9" (48mm). Comprising 8 elements in 7 groups, the lens has 7 aperture blades that create natural background blur. This is a versatile lens, covering a wide-angle to moderate telephoto focal length of 14-42mm (35mm equivalent: 28-84mm).
- 16MP Live MOS Sensor
- The 16MP Live MOS sensor is optimized to maximize the performance of all M.Zuiko digital lenses in any shooting condition. Improvements to the sensitivity and read-out speed of the existing sensor enables ISO 25600 shooting for clear, detailed low-light images, and also allows for Full HD movie recording.
- Improved Color Reproduction
- The TruePic VI Image Processor, designed specifically for the Olympus PEN series, features Real Color Technology for improved color reproduction and color gradation. The dynamic range has been increased, enabling finer expression of gradations between dark and bright areas with a broader range of intensity. The faster processor also allows for a shorter recovery time between shots.
- Fast, Accurate Auto Focus
- The F.A.S.T. (Frequency Acceleration Sensor Technology) AF System is able to focus at high speed and offers 35 separate focus points that are spread over the sensor, which makes it possible for accurate focusing on small subjects wherever they appear in the frame. Selectable 3x3 groups within the 35-point area are especially effective when shooting moving subjects. Options within 35-point multi-area AF: All target, Group target area (9-area), Single target,(normal) Single target(small). AF Tracking function locks your subject into focus and continuously adjusts focus and brightness even if the subject disappears from view momentarily. Magnified frame AF: Selectable from over 800 AF points. Magnification: x5, x7, x10 (Default), and x14 are selectable
- 3.0" Flip Portrait LCD Touchscreen
- This bright, high-resolution screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio tilts up (to 170°) and down (to 65°) to capture shots from a variety of angles. Flip the monitor up for self-portrait shooting. The Anti-Finger Print coating reduces smudges. You have access to Touch shutter release, Touch enlargement, Touch Live Guide, AF area selection, AF area enlargement, Frame forward/backward, Enlargement playback, Touch Super Control Panel, Touch Art Filter selection, and Touch scene mode selection. Brightness and color temperature control: ±7 levels. Color tone options include Vivid and Natural. Information display (playback): Histogram (independent luminance / RGB available), Highlight/Shadow point warning, AF frame, Photographic information, and OFF
- Immediate Response Touch Autofocus and Shutter
- Control focus and shutter release with just a touch on the LCD screen. Improved sensitivity reacts immediately to touch so shutter release is instantaneous.
- Live View
- The Live View feature provides approximately 100% field of view. Exposure compensation preview, WB adjustment preview, Gradation auto preview, Face detection preview (up to 8 faces), Grid line, Histogram, Magnification display (x5/x7/x10/x14), Highlight and shadow, and Off are available.
- In-Body Image Stabilization
- Olympus' in-body image stabilization makes it possible to use any Micro Four Thirds lenses (or Four Thirds lenses via an adapter), from wide-angle to telephoto, for clear, crisp photos no matter what the shooting situation--even in low light. Available manual focal length setting lets you input the following focal lengths: 8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 18, 24, 28, 30, 35, 40, 48, 50, 55, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 100, 105, 120, 135, 150, 180, 200, 210, 250, 300, 350, 400, 500, 600, 800, 1000.
- Full 1080i HD Video
- Shoot up to 29 minutes (MOV) or 14 minutes (AVI) of Full 1920x1080i HD video at 60 or 30fps with stereo sound in either AVCHD or AVI formats, at 20Mbps (Fine) or 17Mbps (Normal). Aspect ratio: 16:9. Also record 1280x720 at 13Mbps (Fine) or 10Mbps (Normal). A Direct HD Movie Button switches you from still to movie mode with just one touch. The Movie Teleconverter function magnifies up to 4x with minimal image degradation
- 8fps Sequential Shooting
- With the E-PL5 you can take up to eight photos a second, allowing you to easily capture that one perfect shot amidst a flurry of activity. Other continuous shooting speeds available (L mode): 3.6, 3fps. Maximum number of frames: 27 in L mode at 3fps and 15 in H mode at 8fps for RAW; unlimited in L mode at 3fps and up to 19 in H mode at 8fps for JPEG
- Increased ISO Sensitivity
- Capture more low light photos with an increased ISO sensitivity to 25600.
- Fast Response
- The E-PL5 offers fast shutter response time ranging from 60 - 1/40000 seconds. The TruePic VI Image processor allows for reduced shot-to-shot time by shortening the black-out time between shots.
- Face Detection with Eye Detect
- The face detection AF employs an Eye Detect AF that adjusts focus automatically on the subject's eyes during portrait shooting and can even be adjusted to focus on the right, left or near-side eye. The Face Detection function captures up to eight faces, reducing the chance of blurred subjects when shooting several people at once.
- In-Camera Advanced Arts Filters
- Twelve in-camera Art Filters, including Diorama, Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Color, Light Tone, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Cross Process, Gentle Sepia, Key Line and Dramatic Tone, are enhanced by filter variations, art effects, and bracketing. Photographers can use Art Filters in all shooting modes as well as when filming HD movies. A Water Color effect is also available, as is a Monochrome effect and Variations. With the fade effect in 1080i Full HD Movie mode, you can transition from one art filter to another without stopping the video. Art Filter bracketing: i-Enhance, Vivid, Natural, Muted, Portrait, Monotone, Custom, and Art Filters selectable.
- 3D Still Shooting
- Add a different dimension to your photographs in any mode from macro to landscape with Olympus' 3D technology. By simply selecting the 3D Photo Mode, releasing the shutter, and slowly panning, the camera will automatically take a second image from a slightly different perspective. The 3D data is processed in-camera resulting in an .MPO file for easy display on 3D compatible televisions or laptops.
- iAuto and 23 Scene Select
- iAuto automatically identifies the scene you're shooting - portrait, landscape, night portrait, macro, or sport - and adjusts the settings to optimize results. The E-PL5 is also equipped with 23 Scene-Select modes for effortless picture taking, including Fireworks, Sunset, Children, Macro, Panorama, and Documents. There are even three scene modes that are specific to shooting with Olympus' conversion lenses to optimize the performance of those lenses: Fisheye Conv., Wide Conv., and Macro Conv.
- Picture Mode
- i-Enhance, Vivid, Natural, Muted, Portrait, Monotone, Custom, Art Filters. Gradation: Gradation Auto, Normal, High Key, Low Key [except Art Filters].
- In-Camera Slideshow with Sound
- In-camera slide-shows are easy to create. The E-PL5's enhanced playback functions allow you to employ effective fade-in/fade-out techniques, control the movie/still mix and speed, add musical soundtracks, and much more. Not only are there 4 background music tracks included in the camera, but you can also download additional music from OLYMPUS' website.
- Updated Screen Design and Live Guide
- The Live Guide system allows you to preview effects as you adjust them - before the image is even captured. Simply select Live Guide and turn the wheel on the back of the camera to slide through numerous photographic effects, such as brightness, color saturation and tone.
- AF Illuminator
- The addition of this bright LED beam allows the camera to focus faster in low light, up to almost 10' (3.05 m).
- Attachable Flash Included
- This camera provides the flexibility to attach a flash to your camera via the accessory port, or leave it at home for greater portability. The FL-LM1 TTL flash is included, with a guide number (GN) of 7' (2.1 m) at ISO100 and 10' (3.05 m) at ISO200. Flash modes include Auto, manual, fill-in, off, red-eye reduction, second-curtain sync, slow sync, and slow sync / red-eye reduction. Flash sync speed: 1/250 sec max; varies by flash model and mode: FL-LM1/2: 1/250 sec., FL-50R: 1/180 sec., Other: 1/200 sec., Super FP: 1/125-1/4000 sec. Flash exposure compensation: Up to ±3 EV in 0.3, 0.5, 1 EV steps selectable
- Bulb Shooting
- Decide on the exposure time you want by previewing the effect on the LCD monitor. During bulb shooting, the image is updated at regular intervals, e.g., every 0.5 sec. The shutter opens by fully pressing the release button and closes by fully pressing it once more--and can stay open for up to 30 minutes for extremely long exposures.
- Expandable System
- A range of interchangeable lenses, accessories and strobes are compatible with the E-PL5 to support all different types of photography needs
- Accessory Port
- A port for connecting accessories including flashes, PENPAL, MAL-1 Macro Light, SEMA-1 Microphone adapter and the VF-2 and VF-3 viewfinders is part of this camera's design. Compatible external flashes: FL-50R, FL-36R, FL-20, FL-14, FL-300R, FL-600R
- Professional Audio Sound Capture
- Take videos with uncompressed CD-quality 16bit/44.1kHz Linear PCM stereo recording or AC3 Dolby Digital audio. Microphone has Wind Noise Reduction, and audio dubbing is possible for still pictures (up to 30 sec.)
- Easy Photo and Video Playback On Your HDTV
- Using the HDMI output, just connect the E-PL5 to your HDTV with an HDMI cable (not included) and navigate the camera's menus on the HDTV. This is perfect for sharing your pictures and movies with an audience.
- Multiple Exposure Shooting
- The Multiple Exposure function enables you to be creative right in the camera. Two images can be captured and combined to create one unique image. Benefit from Auto gain, Exposing on Recorded picture (RAW). Exposure bracketing: 2, 3 or 5 frames in 0.3/0.7/1.0EV steps selectable, 7 frames in 0.3/0.7EV steps selectable. Bracketing for HDR post process: 3 or 5 frames in 2.0/3.0EV steps selectable, 7 frames in 2.0EV steps selectable--HDR picture cannot be created using this function.
- Exposure Compensation
- ±3 EV in 1/3, 1/2, 1 EV steps selectable. White balance compensation: ±7 steps in each A-B/G-M axis, except for Custom WB.
- Additional Aspect Ratios
- The E-PL5 lets you select one of five aspect ratios (4:3 / 3:2 / 16:9 / 1:1 / 3:4) that frame your images to whatever proportions you'd like, for everything from conventional enlargements to viewing on widescreen monitors.
- Proven Dust Reduction System
- Olympus' Dust Reduction System assures spot-free images, even after changing lenses. Every time you turn on the camera, the Supersonic Wave Filter silently vibrates, removing dust so that it doesn't interfere with the picture imaging at any time.
- ePortrait Mode
- Capturing beautiful portraits is easy with the ePortrait Mode that enables you to soften shadows and smooth your subject's complexion either before image capture or during post-production.
- Advanced Shadow Adjustment Technology
- You no longer need to worry about the extreme contrast between dark and bright areas in your images. The E-PL5's Shadow Adjustment Technology corrects for extreme light variations with high-tech efficiency either before you shoot or during post-capture touch-up.
- Live View Magnification
- For accurate manual focusing, MF Assist can be enabled during S-AF + MF operation. With it you can zoom in up to 14x on the central part of the image by turning the focus ring.
- Mode Dial
- Features My Sets, which enables customization of program modes, such as Aperture Priority, Manual and Scene Select Modes, to suit your shooting preferences. You can record up to 4 settings.
- Image Rotation in Playback
- When you shoot a portrait, the image is automatically rotated in playback
- Included Detachable Grip
- Change the feel of the camera to best suit your needs or preferences
- In-Camera RAW Data Editing
- Selects various settings for RAW data editing--which affords you greater creative control than JPEG editing--and previews images before applying changes. Editing function: RAW development, Gradation auto, Monochrome, Sepia, Red-eye fix, Saturation, Resize (1280x960, 640x480, 320x240), Trimming, Aspect, e-Portrait, Image Overlay, Post recording. You can even change your image from color to black-and-white. RAW development is based on the settings of the camera (including Art Filter). Detail edit is acceptable (Preview, Memory of 2 setting, re-development).
- The customizable self-timer programs the shutter release to go off at designated intervals. Choose from the presets of 12 or 2 sec, or the custom settings of 1-30 sec in 0.5, 1, 2, or 3 sec intervals. You can also choose a number of shots from 1-10
- Print Function
- Print reservation (DPOF) and Direct print (PictBridge compatible)
- Image Share and FlashAir for Easy Wireless Uploads
- There's no need for cables or even a computer. Upload or email images directly from your camera with an optional PP-1 PENPAL or Eye-Fi card. The E-PL5 is also capable of recording stills and video to SD, SDHC, SDXC and UHS-I media cards. With the OLYMPUS Image Share application, compatible with both iPhone and Android smartphones and the Toshiba FlashAir SDHC memory card, it's quick and easy to upload photos to your favorite social networking sites. You can set up the FlashAir via the integrated smartphone connection capability for a Wi-Fi connection between your camera and smartphone. Image Share simplifies the task of uploading images to a smartphone: Just select them from thumbnails, apply Art Filters on the smartphone, and share. You can also share images with friends and family by issuing a one-time password to connect several smartphones simultaneously to the camera. Try the Olympus Smartphone app PENPic or the iPhone app.
- Included 14-42mm F/3.5-5.6 II Lens
- The M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II is bundled with this camera. This 3X zoom lens is compact, measuring just 1.9" (48mm). Comprising 8 elements--including 3 aspherical glass elements--in 7 groups, the lens has 7 aperture blades that create natural background blur. Covering a wide-angle to a moderate telephoto focal length of 14-42mm (35mm equivalent: 28-84mm), this versatile lens is suitable for everyday photography. Its MSC (Movie & Still-Compatible) mechanism employs fast, virtually silent autofocusing that won't be picked up by your microphone during audio recording.
- Additional Information
Brand Olympus Qty 1